Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Bandwagon Jumping

One hears a lot about 'blogging' nowadays, and 'bloggers', and 'blogs', and 'web logs'. Are they going to catch on, like MySpace? Or fade away, like Friendster?

I am arriving very, very late to the blogging table. Now, millions of blogs glut the Internet, each more inane and pointless than the last. This one is (clearly) no exception. What do I have to add? Nothing. Who will see this? Nobody. If by some accident you mistype a url and wind up here, I'm sorry to have wasted your time. (Incidentally, if you enjoy wasting time, please do check out my website, Fray.ca, which, as unrewarding wastes of time and effort go, is way up there.)

If, on the other hand, you've arrived at this blog on purpose, well, I hope it's everything you dreamed it would be.

Also, for the record, I find the word 'blog', and all of it's conjugations vaguely unpleasant. ('Blogosphere' in particular.) I also disliked the concept for a long time. Reading people's journals is usually only interesting if you know them intimately, and if you had to sneak into their room to do it. Broadcasting one's private and almost universally uninteresting thoughts to the world at large seems to defeat the purpose. Then I noticed that some of my favorite sites were blogs, like BoingBoing and The Hater, for example. Will this blog rise above the rest, and become great? No, it won't. I don't have the time, energy or inclination.

Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home